We recently provided an update regarding the California Privacy Protection Agency’s modified regulations (the “Regulations”) for the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act (the “CCPA”). In that update, we briefly discussed new requirements regarding website popups, including cookie banners.
The Regulations require Businesses to design and implement methods for consumers submitting CCPA requests and “obtaining consumer consent” that incorporate the following principles:
- Language that is easy to understand;
- Symmetry in choice, meaning the business shall not make it more difficult to exercise a more privacy-protective option than a less privacy-protective option;
- Avoids language that is confusing to the consumer;
- Avoids using choice architecture that impairs or interferes with the consumer’s ability to make a choice; and
- Designed in a way that it is easy to execute.